Tuesday, 13th November 2018
A coffee lover`s challenge
Nikola Karabatic, our ambassador, is someone who just loves coffee and who could argue about that when there is a whole army of coffee lovers on this planet. We asked Nikola to test two of our coffee machines and to declare which one makes a better coffee in his opinion.
You can see the coffee challenge in the video below.
As big coffee lovers ourselves we just wanted to share six cool coffee facts with you that we are impressed about …
1. The original definition of coffee means “wine”.
Coffee’s original name, qahwah, came from the Yemen term for wine. In Turkey it was called kahveh, until the Dutch referred to it as koffie, where we get the English coffee.
2. Coffee is the second most traded product in the world. Oil is first.
3. Coffee was originally a food. And a wine!
Coffee berries were mixed with fat to create an energy-rich snack ball. It was also consumed as a wine when made from the pulp of coffee berries.
4. The most expensive coffee in the world is called Kopi Luwak and it sells for more than 600 dollars a pound, which is around 50 dollars per cup of coffee. The main factor of its high price is the uncommon method of producing such a coffee. It has been produced from the coffee beans, which have been eaten, partly digested and then excreted by a certain Indonesian cat-like animal called palm civet. This is the reason Kopi Luwak is also called cat poop coffee.
5. Coffee is second most popular drink in the world, just after water.
6. Coffee beans as we know them are actually the pits of a cherry-like berry that are grown on bushes. Even though coffee is actually a seed, it's called a bean because of its resemblance to actual beans.